Web: you’re on it
American University, Washington, D.C. Master of Arts, Journalism, May 2010.
DePauw University, Greencastle, IN. Bachelor of Arts, English Writing, May 2009. Minor: History
Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. Institute on Political Journalism. June-August 2009.
Mercatus Center at George Mason University (February 2012-Present)
New Media Manager, Arlington, V.A.
- Manage online marketing strategy for Mercatus products
- Manage content on Mercatus websites and coordinate web projects with developers
- Manage Mercatus-brand social media strategy and quality control
- Manage email marketing for events and programs, list building and analytics
- Run social and Google advertising campaigns for Mercatus research initiatives
American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research (November 2010-February 2012)
Online Communications Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Produced online content and helped launch the massive redesign of AEI.org
- Ran AEI’s social media campaigns, including Facebook and Twitter accounts and Facebook advertising
- Produced AEI Today, the company’s most highly-distributed daily newsletter every morning on deadline
- Assisted in promotions strategy across multiple platforms, analytics of online assets, and website fixes
Hearst Corporation (September-November 2010)
Part-time multimedia reporter, Washington, D.C.
- Create multimedia packages for Houston Chronicle’s website and blogs
- Report on beat issues including energy, education and immigration
- Update website and social media for Texas on the Potomac/NY on the Potomac
Radio Free Europe (January 2010-September 2010)
News Department and Communications Fellow, Washington, D.C.
- Write and report for “Off Mic” “Watchdog,” “Journalists in Trouble” and “Transmissions” blogs
- Report on foreign policy/international conferences and hearings in DC
- Tweet for the RFE Press Room Twitter account
- Edit daily reports from Russia and Iran
- Assist in RFE press events
Freelance Web Editing (August 2010)
- Editing website for Frank Smyth, D.C. Rep. for the Committee to Protect Journalists
- Creator, writer and content developer for DC Foreign Policy Beat on TBD Community Network
The Huffington Post College (June 2010-Present)
- Guest blogger on intern and recent graduate issues
The American Observer (www.americanobserver.net) (August 2009-May 2010)
Editor in chief, multimedia, photo, copy and news editor positions
- Write stories, produce multimedia packages and blog for weekly publication
J-Lab: The Institute for Interactive Journalism (August-December 2009)
Graduate Assistant, Washington, D.C.
- Manage and update 5 J-Lab sites and databases
- Assist with communication and marketing projects
NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams (June-August 2009)
Investigative News Intern, Washington, D.C.
- Research, conduct interviews, assist in production for Lisa Myers and Investigative Unit producers
- Blog published on msnbc.com on Iranian protests
The Cauldron Magazine, DePauw University
- Editor-in-Chief (August 2008-May 2009)
- Social Justice Editor and Copy Editor (August 2006-May 2008)
The DePauw University Homepage (www.depauw.edu) (February-May 2009)
- Write profile stories for the DePauw University Homepage
- Collaborate on design and content with Dean of Academic Affairs
91.5 WGRE Radio, DePauw University
- News reporter and newscaster (February-May 2009)
- Co-host of weekly radio show (August 2006-May 2007)
WTHR Channel 13, Eyewitness News (NBC Affiliate) (June-August 2008)
News Intern, Indianapolis, IN
- Create packages using NewsEdit video editing, do standups, and shadow reporters daily.
- Write scripts and articles for WTHR.com.
Indianapolis/St. Louis Woman Magazine
Editorial Intern and Freelance Writer, Indianapolis, IN
- Write the special section “Heart Health” for the February 2009 issue (includes 7 articles). (December 2008-February 2009)
- Write the education feature spread (7 stories each) on Indiana and St. Louis programs. (December 2007-February 2008)
- Write/edit the “Out and About” feature spread (6 stories) and “Happenings.” (December 2007-February 2008)
Austin Woman Magazine (August-December 2007)
Managing Editor and Editorial Assistant, Austin, TX
- Create monthly grid with editor-in-chief, distribute writer/photographer assignments (including hiring and firing)
- Write features stories (1,000-1,500 words), news briefs, and monthly calendar.
- Edit all text within magazine.
- Head of Austin Woman’s 5th Anniversary Project: wrote stories, managed writers, hired my own interns from UT.
USA Weekend Magazine (June-August 2007)
Editorial Intern, Washington D.C.
- Write features stories, fact check articles, copy edit final proofs.
- Research for editors and writers, database and contact updates.
- Assist with projects and meetings, attend USA TODAY seminars.
The DePauw Newspaper, DePauw University
- Staff Writer (August 2005-December 2006)
- Events Photographer (February-December 2006)
- Assistant to Copy Editor (August-December 2006)
Relevant Skills: HTML, Web Content Management Systems, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, AP style, Google Analytics, Social Media, project management, Social Advertising, Web Design, Blogging
American University Merit Award, Assistantship (August 2009-May 2010)
DePauw University Dean’s List (August 2007-May 2009)
DePauw University Holton Memorial Scholarship (August 2007-May 2009)
Letter published in TIME Magazine (November 10, 2003)
Delta Gamma Foundation Scholarship (August 2008)
DePauw University Academic Resource Center
- Tutor for The Writing Center. One of fifteen hand-picked tutors based on faculty recommendations (August 2008-May 2009)
The Educational Advantage Tutoring Carmel, IN
- English Tutor in essay writing and grammar for high school students (June-August 2006)
- After-School Enrichment: Reading Tutor (August 2005-May 2007)
- Student Friend (August 2006-May 2007)
- Delta Gamma Service for Sight (March 2006-May 2009)
- Gap Body, Austin TX (August-December 2007 while interning full time at Austin Woman Magazine)
- Indianapolis Pool Management: Lifeguard and Swim instructor. Carmel, IN (June-August 2006 and June-August 2008)